Hey Rome 1st!
I hope all is well. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. We will be
setting up for a sermon series on “Love, Grow, Serve” – our church’s stated
vision. The Pentecost season is a great time to revisit this vision as we seek
to be molded by the Holy Spirit into the likeness of Jesus and draw people
into God’s kingdom. Love, grow, serve is what God’s children do. I look
forward to exploring how loving, growing, and serving can change us as a
church, change our community, and change our world. See you tomorrow.
In other news:
- Rome 1st offers scholarships, but the deadline is fast approaching! The church offers a at least two scholarships to those studying for a Christian or human services related profession – one for an incoming college freshman and one for an upper-class or graduate student. Grab an application form in the church office and bring it back by June 1 (Wednesday).
- Relay For Life will be held June 2 at the NYS School for the Deaf. Registration will be from 10 a.m. to noon, with the relay beginning at noon. Cancer survivors and caregivers are invited to celebrate the gift of life with others by walking the first lap at the event. A reception will follow the opening laps and there will be a free T-shirt for all survivors. Call (800) 227-2345 or visit www.relayforlife.org/romeny for more information or to preregister.
- United Methodist Women will hold an evening apart at 6 p.m. June 5 at Rome 1st UMC. All women are invited to this potluck salad supper. Bring your table service and a dish to pass. Beverages will be provided. Delta Strings and Things will provide some sing-along entertainment, playing traditional “old time” church music, gospel, and praise music. The event is sponsored by Mohawk District UMW.
- Vacation Bible School is set for July 22-26 at First Presbyterian. The event will go from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. each night with a simple supper beginning at 5:30 p.m. and programming beginning at 6 p.m. We need your help in a variety of ways. We need a crafty person or two to help kids put together crafts. We need a person or two to help the kids with outdoor games. We need a few people who would be willing to lead groups of kids from one activity to the next. We also need people who would be willing to help prepare the two meals our church has been asked to make for that week. Let me or Deb Weiss know ASAP if you can help.
- Mark your calendars as we are planning a neighborhood picnic for June 30. We will need volunteers for a variety of things, so you’ll be hearing more about this as we get details figured out. We are looking for outdoor games kids can play. Let me or Gwyn know if you have any ideas. Invite your friends, neighbors, strangers, whoever!
- Also, ’tis the season for spring cleaning and garage sales. Don’t forget about that the church holds an tag sale during Honor America Days. We will begin collecting items for this sale in July.
- We are putting adult Sunday school on hold until September. Attendance has been low for quite some time. We hope to come back with a new program in the fall.
- Children’s Sunday school will end May 27. We will continue to have nursery care for kids under 4 years old through the summer.
Grace and peace,